I love butter and salt on potatoes. My favourite meal when I am dieting is grass fed beef, potatoes, butter and salt! When I am not dieting, I slather butter on everything from sourdough to rice…with out limiting my portion sizes. Being a calorie dense nutrient, I just rein it in a little when it is time to cut body fat.
Nutritional science has come a long way the last 20 years. Once believed to be artery clogging and fat storing, saturated fat has now been shown to have huge benefits to both health and metabolism.
WHAT ABOUT NUTS AND SEEDS?
Most traditional fitness diets do not recommend saturated fats and favour omega 3’s, peanut butter, nuts and seeds instead. I understand this is quite controversial. I personally think that not including saturated fats in a diet is a huge mistake. Choosing Poly-unsaturated fatty acids as an alternative also has inflammatory and anti-metabolic qualities. Pro-Metabolic meal plans include saturated fats such as butter, coconut oil, dark chocolate, cheese, milk, cream and eggs.
Although not necessarily helping to put on muscle, butter may help to improve metabolism and provide the essential fat-soluble vitamins that can improve health. MY GOAL IS ALWAYS TO BE HEALTHIER. Remember, fat loss favours a healthier body…and butter helps with this!
There is no substitute for butter from grass fed cows. Real or organic butter where the only ingredients contained are cream, milk and salt.
This means that ‘butter flavour’ is NOT butter, ‘spreads like butter’ is NOT butter, and rich coloured margarine also is NOT butter.
If the butter has additives or colourings on the ingredient panel then it is NOT real butter. The margarine from hydrogenated and vegetable oils will do more harm to health and metabolism than imaginable.
GRASS FED AND ORGANIC.
The best food always comes from animals fed from grass-fed pastures. If animals are not consuming green grass, Vitamins A and K will be largely absent from fat stores. When animals have no access to sunlight then Vitamin D will be largely absent from the food produced. Food is only as clean as it’s source.
Cows store toxins in fat. Toxins will be passed on to the consumer when cows are fed a diet high in grains and PUFA’s, injected with steroidal hormones and antibiotics. Antibiotics are often used due to the filthy conditions that grain fed cows are kept in.
I have concluded that I AM NOT WHAT I EAT…I AM WHAT MY FOOD HAS EATEN.
Contrary to some out dated views, saturated fats do not clog arteries nor do they cause heart disease.
Some of the amazing benefits of butter:
• Butter is a dense source of the fat soluble vitamins A, D, and K2 – the vitamins that work synergistically together and that cannot be obtained easily from other sources.
• Butter contains calcium, potassium, and iodine and is a great source of selenium.
• Vitamin K2 from butter helps with bone strength.
• Vitamin E from butter protects the cardiovascular system.
• The vitamin A found in butter is essential for the immune system.
• Vitamin A and the antioxidants in butter…Vitamin E, selenium and cholesterol…. all protect against cancer and heart disease.
• Butter is the best source of CLA and they helps fight carcinogens.
• Do a google search about the Wulzen factor – it is unique to butter and it helps protect against calcification of joints and degenerative arthritis.
• Butter is actually heart healthy. It contains a perfect ration of omega 3- 6.
• Butter contains glycosphingolipids, a special category of fatty acids that protects against gastro-intestinal infection. The short and medium chain fatty acids in butter protect against pathogens and have strong anti-fungal effects.
• In summary, Butter and other saturated fats play numerous very important roles in the body’s chemistry and metabolism. They strengthen the immune system, help the nervous system function properly, suppress inflammation, aid thyroid gland functioning, assist with mineral metabolism, supports reproductive health, helps with digestion, are resilient to oxidation, help regulate blood sugar and boosts metabolism.
BUTTER AND FAT BURNING.
The notion that butter causes weight gain is a sad misconception. The short and medium chain fatty acids in butter are not stored in the adipose tissue, but are used for quick energy. Fat tissue in humans is composed mainly of longer chain fatty acids.
Butter can help increase metabolic rate as the iodine and Vitamin A in butter is great for thyroid gland functioning. Butter is rich in nutrients that help us feel fuller longer. Butter also helps slow the absorption of starches and it helps keep blood sugar levels stable. Butter is also a great source of CLA which has been shown to aid weight loss and help with weight management. I may reduce my portion sizes as I need to get leaner but I never remove grass-fed butter when I need to drop kilos.
So enjoy a dollop of butter on your potatoes. Its delicious and its actually really good for you!
PRO-METABOLIC MEAL PLANS
12-WEEK BOOST AND SHRED.
The meal plan programs have been designed to increase metabolic rate and balance hormones. The fat in Pro-Metabolic meal plans come from saturated sources such butter, coconut oil, cream, cheese and dairy.
These plans are based on the research of endocrinologists Dr Ray Peat using unique pro-thyroid nutrients. Each week calories are gradually increased to assist with upregulating metabolic rate and improving health which will help increase fat burning – because fat loss favours a healthy body with a fast metabolism.
8-WEEK HORMONAL BALANCING.
For more detailed information about how Pro-Metabolic Nutrition works.
PERSONALISED CUSTOM NUTRITION
I also offer
one-on-one individual consultations where I can prepare a customized plan.
GREAT LINKS FOR FURTHER READING
many fabulous links to resources here)
Subscribe to Blog
EXCESS ESTROGEN AND THE DEVESTATING IMPACT IT HAS ON FAT LOSS, AGING AND HEALTH – and what you can do to reverse it
Are you ready to shred fat & get healthy?
Start today on your 16 or 8 week online fat loss program